Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week 9 1/2: Liberia

Tonight's dinner was a disappointment.  Yes, we enjoyed a couple of the dishes, but overall, just a disappointment.  And I had such hopes for our penultimate dinner!  I guess I should figure that out of 13 meals thus far, this had to happen at least once... and should feel good that this is the first time.  Still... I had such hopes!  Of course, I should count myself very lucky that Hurricane Irene didn't cause us to lose power while I was in the midst of cooking all this food.

Dinner:  Peanut Soup, FufuSweet Potato Pone, Jollof Rice
Dessert:  Ricebread

Once I read this recipe and all the comments associated with it, I knew I had to make it.  I haven't used peanut butter for cooking in over ten years... the last thing being a peanut sauce for noodles that turned out disgusting.  If I have a bad experience cooking, I am prone not to want to repeat it.  For some reason I was swayed with this... a peanut soup with a kick of spice.  The soup was actually good... and all the littles finished off their bowls with the eldest asking for seconds.
African Peanut Soup
I really wanted to try the fufu once I read that the way to eat it is to tear a little piece off, roll it into a ball, and then make it into a little bowl to use to scoop up your soup.  My littles enjoy playing with their food anyway... and here's a food that is meant to be 'played' with at the dinner table!  In theory, it was perfect, both for the littles and a great way to try yuca!  Fufu is a sort of dough made from mashed yuca root and plantains.  The fufu turned out to be a disappointment.  First of all, not being familiar with the yuca root, I didn't know the tips to treat it properly... I didn't even know how to pick it out until I watched the lady next to me.  The recipe stated to peel and slice the yuca and then boil until soft.  I did exactly as the recipe stated and it came out lumpy and nearly impossible to mash.  For those of you who want to try it (because I really feel like it could be an interesting thing to try with young kids), follow the tips listed here, where it talks about removing the core and other helpful ideas.  I plan on trying out some of his ideas for leftover fufu.  I was right, though.  My littles LOVED playing with the fufu and making little balls.  Apparently when they can play with the food, they eat the food.  All the fufu was gone off of their plates.  As far as the taste... it was ok.  My guess is that it's supposed to have a very subtle flavor as to not overpower whatever is being scooped.
Fufu
The sweet potato pone was a last minute addition... only because it looked like it would be so scrumptious and simple.  And it still may prove to be... once I purchase the proper ingredients.  The recipe calls for molasses and we had molasses.  I didn't realize there were different types of molasses.  We had blackstrap molasses, which turned my sweet potato pudding into an impossible to eat mess.  I made all the littles take one bite... only one bite... and then watched as each one gagged while trying to swallow it.  My eldest, always trying to be my encouragement, told me that she really REALLY liked it.  I also saw the expression on her face as she ate each bite.  I didn't make her finish it... in fact, I threw the entire quantity that I made in the trash.  I do plan to make it again, though.  Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.  I will buy the proper molasses this time.  I just really think it will be that good!
Sweet Potato Pone - the picture doesn't even make it look appetizing.
The jollof rice was quite tasty... and I think everyone agreed to that.  I guess maybe I should have just stopped after making the rice dish.  This is a very common dish for West Africa, each country putting their own twist on it.  The only thing that I did different from the recipe was omit the shrimp, which disappointed my eldest to an extreme.
Jollof Rice
The ricebread is a traditional Liberian bread, most often eaten as a dessert.  It tasted very similar to banana bread, which I had already assumed it would.  It had a slightly different texture and not quite as sweet.  The littles kept calling it cake and loved every bite.  I think for the husband and myself, the ricebread not really being a sweet treat after that disappointing meal ended up being just that much more of a disappointment.  Yes, it was good... and it will not be wasted, but I may have to make brownies tomorrow, just to even things out!  As an afternote:  I had some of the ricebread for breakfast, warmed with a small pat of butter and it was a perfect breakfast bread!  And somehow knowing this, makes the disappointment from last night just a little less.
Ricebread
Interesting Facts:
- Monrovia is the capital of Liberia, named after President Monroe.
- Liberia declared independence on July 26, 1847.
- More than 70% of Liberia's trade is shared with South Korea, Japan, Belgium and the US.
- Liberia serves as one of the biggest exporters of iron ore in Africa.
- The pygmy hippo is the national symbol of Liberia.
- English is Liberia's official language.
- Liberia means "land of the free" in Latin.
- Liberia was originally founded as a land for repatriated slaves.
- Liberia has more female leaders than Norway, Sweden and South Korea combined.
- Joseph Jenkins Roberts was the first Liberian president.  He was born in Virginia.
- Liberia is 43,000 square miles - slightly larger than Tennessee.
- The annual rainfall in Monrovia is 200 inches.
- Liberia borders Sierra Leone, the Guinea Republic and Ivory Coast.
- The population of Liberia is 3,195,931.
- Liberia has never participated in a FIFA World Cup and has never progressed further than Round 1 in the Africa Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment