Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 5 1/2: Morocco

I find myself suddenly in one of those typical situations where I'm feeling both the good and the bad and can't settle on one or the other. Last week, I wrote of the immense pride that this project has brought me. This week, I'm feeling the immense weight of being grounded. This project has opened wide my desire to travel, my wanderlust, at the worst possible time. Especially, as I hear about the travels and adventures of others. I started this project as a way to experience the world from the comfort of our own home, but I'm not feeling comfortable... I'm feeling restless. Of course, I realize that by putting this down on record, it has the possibility to take away some of what exactly I'm doing, but I really hope not.

Inspired by the spontaneous purchase of an eggplant, I decided to stop for an impromptu night in Morocco.  I also thought that diving into another cooking endeavor would help my mood.  It totally worked... what also helped was the last minute hunt for the necessary ingredients.  Tonight's dinner required the ever elusive orange blossom water, which isn't carried by any of the stores that I frequent.  Thanks to a tip from a friend and my knight's brief jaunt down to a Mediterranean store, dinner was ready!

Dinner:  Moroccan Vegetable Stew with Couscous and Cabbage Salad
Dessert:  Rice Pudding

Initially, I was concerned how a cabbage salad would go over with the littles, until the eldest started sneaking the cut up cabbage right off the cutting board.  Add to that apples, raisins, and cinnamon... and the littles ate it up!  The middle little was the funniest.  At dinner, he was so fixated on how everything looked that when I finally asked him if he had tasted it, it seemed almost like an afterthought.  He finally tasted it... and then it was gone.
Cabbage Salad
I have made a similar stew in the past, which is why the eggplant inspired me toward Morocco.  Of course, it was great... how could it not be with all those lovely vegetables and spices?  Only the middle little had issue with the contents... "but it has mushrooms in it" and "is that zucchini" and the ever-present "but it doesn't LOOK good". 
Moroccan Stew with Couscous
This was my first time making rice pudding and I love rice pudding!  It doesn't make sense that I wouldn't have tried making something that I know I like before now.  Instead of rationalizing it, I'll just add one more notch to the benefits of this whole project.  So easy to make... and it tastes divine.  I made it according to the traditional Moroccan flavor by adding the orange blossom water, but can see how it can easily be more versatile with just almond or vanilla extract.
Rice Pudding
Interesting Facts:
-  The capital of Morocco is Rabat.
-  Morocco is the 12th richest country in the world.
-  Moroccans eat prickly pears and avocado milkshakes.
-  Morocco's official name is "Kingdom of Morocco".
-  The shrine of Sidi Vahya in Morocco is said to be the tomb of John the Baptist.
-  Morocco's money is the dirham.
-  Morocco went to the World Cup in 1970, 1986, and 1998.  They made it to the 2nd round only in 1989.
-  The population of Morocco is 33,241,259.
-  Morocco is 172,317 square miles - slightly larger than California.
-  The languages spoken in Morocco is Arabic, Berber, and French.

No comments:

Post a Comment